Meet the Commissioner
2016 USDA Drought Assistance Programs Available to Eligible Alabama Farmers
Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP)
– LFP is designed to provide compensation to eligible livestock producers who have suffered grazing losses due to drought. The grazing losses must be due to a qualifying drought condition during a county’s normal grazing period. Eligibility requirements are for those livestock producers who own or lease land in a county assessed by the U.S. Drought Monitor as: D2 (severe drought) for 8-consecutive weeks, D3 (extreme drought), or D4 (exceptional drought). LFP payments are calculated based on the drought conditions supported by the U.S. Drought Monitor.
Emergency Loan Program (ELP)
– An emergency loan is offered by FSA to producers within counties declared by the President or designated by the Secretary of Agriculture as a primary disaster area. Contiguous counties are eligible for emergency loans. A variety of terms must be met in order to become eligible for an emergency loan.
Emergency Conservation Program (ECP)
– ECP provides cost share assistance to producers who have to provide water for livestock during drought periods. Other cost-share conservation measures may be authorized by FSA county committees.
Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP)
- Provides Emergency relief to producers of livestock, honey bees, and farm-raised fish. Covers losses from disaster such as adverse weather or other conditions, such as blizzards and wildfires not adequately covered by any other disaster program.
Non-insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)
– NAP provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops to protect against natural disasters resulting in minimal yields or crop losses. Drought is considered an eligible cause of loss. Coverage eligibility for NAP applies to those producers who have completed an application of coverage and paid the appropriate services fees prior to NAP closing dates established by the Farm Service Agency during 2016.
FSA Office Contact Information