The Alabama Department of Agriculture & Industries (ADAI) receives grant funding from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to enhance the competitiveness of Alabama's specialty crops. ADAI accepts competitive applications for specialty crop grant funds annually.
Solely enhance the competitiveness of US specialty crops
To be eligible for a grant, the project(s) must "solely enhance the competitiveness of US specialty crops" in either domestic or foreign markets.
Crops that are eligible
A complete list of eligible and ineligible crops under the grant program can be found at the USDA specialty crop block grant website.
- Tree nuts
- Dried fruits
- Christmas trees
- Turf type grasses
- Nursery crops (including floriculture and horticulture)
Applicants are encouraged to read program guidelines document for full eligibility requirements prior to submitting a proposal.
The following organizations can submit projects that aim to enhance the production and competitiveness of Alabama’s specialty crop industries:
- Non-profit organizations
- Government entities
- For-profit organizations
- Industry trade associations
- Producer groups
- Commodity commissions
- Public and private colleges/universities
Timeline (subject to change)
- Grant funds will not be awarded for projects that directly benefit or provide profit only to a single organization, institution, or individual.
- Funds may not be used to purchase fixed assets or personal property.
- Expenditures incurred prior to grant award may not be included in the grant request or eligible for reimbursement.
- Administration or indirect costs (defined as expenses incurred in controlling or directing an organization, but not directly identifiable with financing, marketing, or production operations) cannot be paid for with these grant funds.
Resources Alabama Specialty Crop Application Template Specialty Crop Grant Guidelines USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant Program Information
March 6, 2017
Invitation by ADAI to submit grant proposals
|March 22, 2017 || |
Conference call with applicants
May 19, 2017
Full grant proposals due to ADAI
ADAI state application submitted to USDA
|October/November 2017 ||Award announcements from USDA |